Sunday, September 03, 2006

Natural Tucker, Maria's, Brown Sugar

Yesterday we had breakfast at Natural Tucker Bakery on Nicholson Street. Service was pretty unenthusiastic. I had to wipe-down my own table. The missus had French toast, which looked good, but I can't eat sweet stuff like that for breakfast. I had poached eggs with mushrooms. It was pretty good, but nothing noteworthy. It's not the most comfy place to sit and eat either. I don't think we'll go back.

We then dropped into Maria's Coffee House to buy some chocolate for Father's Day. I'm a huge fan of Maria's, and regularly stop by on the way home from work. It's a great place to buy beer, cheese, preserved meats, chocolate, and nougat. Somebody told me that the guy who runs it, the older man with the bone-dry sense of humour that I love, is the guy who used to own Grinders, before he sold the business to Coke. I've been looking for information on this, but can't find anything.

After Maria's, we continued down Nicholson to Milawa Cheese Shop, to buy some cheese for Father's Day. Bought some camembert and smoked cheddar. They had some samples out on a table - I tried a creamy cheese called "'Ol Stinky Milawa Gold" or something. Fucking superb. Will have to go back and get some next weekend.

Later on, we attempted to go to Thai Nee for dinner, but it was booked out, so we figured we'd give Brown Sugar, another Thai restaurant on Lygon, a try. I'd heard bad things about this place, but we thought we should make our own mind up. Alas, the service hovered between terse and rudely abrupt. The meals took an absolute age to arrive, and when they finally did, they were nothing special; the Pad Thai looked limp and lifeless, the chicken panang curry was pretty average. We had to ask for our roti a couple of times before it arrived. The table next to us was having all sorts of problems with their order, and ended up having to amend the bill owing to missing items. The lesson here is; if you want Thai in East Brunswick, head straight to Thai Nee, if you can get a table (and don't give me any of that Thaila Thai advice - that place is over-rated).

Then we went to the video shop and hired The League of Gentlemen Apocalypse, which was tons of fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Davidson said...

I'm an ex-Thaila Thai fan, I have to agree, they are over-rated. They also use cream instead of coconut milk which I found enormously off-putting. But mostly it was the interminable waits...

9/21/2006 06:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home