Monday, September 04, 2006

Cathies Lane

Fathers' Day was spent at my folk's house in the Dandenongs. My brother, whom I only really see at family functions, has a much better long-term memory than me. He can recall all the teachers from high-school, and many students from primary school. Whenever the tinge of a childhood memory enters my mind, and I need to solidify certain facts, I can often depend on my brother to provide me with obscure names from the past.

Just now, I was remembering the time we lived in Scoresby, when I was aged 8 to 15. In particular, I was thinking of a section of bike-path that ran between High Street Road and Knox City; and how that area used to feel slightly creepy to me. But it wasn't as creepy as Cathies Lane. Although it's been radically altered since I was growing up in the area, Cathies Lane was once a lonely, deserted stretch of unmade road, dividing the '70s housing estate from the sliver of farmland East of Jells Park. One of the kids in the neighbourhood told me that it was named after a girl who was murdered there.

I was looking it up on Google Maps, when I noticed a section of Ferntree Gully Road has been named 'Masterful Brendon Road'. Here's a link. Google reveals no results for "Masterful Brendon Road". Curious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home