Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The East

Back when the East Brunswick Club was just called 'The East', and you'd never find things like 'warm tofu salad' on the menu, I used to prefer calling it the 'East Brunswick Hotel', which was its original name (just like I prefer to call Piera Street by it's pre-1950s name, Nicholas Street - and of course, suitcases should be called 'Swedish lunchboxes'). But now that it's been hipster-ized and renamed the 'East Brunswick Club', I prefer to call it 'The East'. Anyway, I went there last night with some friends for cheap parma. I forgot that it was Jess Ausculture's trivia night, and so the place was packed. I had a couple of essays returned to me recently, and I'm very happy with the results. One was on the impact that telegraphy had on The Times newspaper throughout the latter half of the nineteenth century. The other was on the formation of national identity through schooling throughout the twentieth century.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home