Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Bollywood wedding

The guy in the office next to me (let's call him Ian) works for a different department. His boss (let's call him Jim) just got engaged. Ian suggests to me that he send Jim an email saying that some elephants have been booked for the wedding. I replied that I didn't follow what he was talking about. "Well, Jim's Sri Lankan and his fiancée's Pakistani" (it must be noted that Jim is quite removed from Sri Lankan culture, having lived in Australia for almost his entire life). "Have you seen Bride and Prejudiced (sic)?" asks Ian. I reply that I haven't. "Well, it's a Bollywood film, and they have a big wedding with elephants n' everything". He's busy laughing his head off at his own joke, then asks me if I think Jim would find that offensive. I reply that the film in Indian, Jim's Sri Lankan, his fiancée is Pakistani, and thus we're talking about three entirely different counties, so making this joke might imply that Ian thinks that all South Asians are the same (which is beside the fact that Jim is quite culturally removed from his Sri Lankan origins, so the joke is based solely on the colour of Jim's skin, in a sense). But Ian's too busy enjoying his own humour, and 5 minutes later, I hear him still going on about it over a video-conference with other work colleagues of his. UPDATE - Now he's talking about it on the phone to someone else, and he's doing a mock Indian accent. UPDATE - He's just shown me a card he's made in Photoshop, where he's pasted Jim's face onto a scene from Bride and Prejudice. UPDATE - In come the call-centre jokes. I should add that Jim is on leave at the moment, which is why this is all allowed to happen. We'll be keeping you informed on this issue as updates come to hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home