Monday, July 10, 2006

Brunswick East Ghost Town

I'm usually at work on a Monday, but today I took some leave to work on an essay. I wandered out around 12:30pm to get some lunch. I'd been meaning to try Shang Hai Ling for some time. It's been getting some good reviews in the press, copies of which are posted in the window - I read them whilst waiting for a tram recently. I took a mental note that there's a special on noodle soups on Mondays and Tuesdays, and that they open at 11:30am for lunch. Alas, when I arrived, it was closed - although the opening times state that it's open for lunch, the take-away menus state that it's only open for dinner. Confusing, but I guess the take-away statement is the latest word. I wandered south. There's a tiny sandwich bar near the Quarry Hotel which I've never seen open, because I'm never around during the week. It was open today, so I ventured in. I was hoping to discover a slice of old-Brunswick, hidden amongst the new-Brunswick establishments like Small Block and Plan B and Comfy Chair. Alas, it was crumby - a small bain-marie of chips and potato-cakes, some unappealing white rolls, and limp-looking sandwich ingredients lurking in little compartments. I looked around for a moment, then left. I heard a voice calling after me - "Hey! Whatsa matter mate?" Headed north to Sugardough - closed. Headed further north to The East (oops, it's called the East Brunswick Club now, innit?). I was the only person in there, besides the barmaid. I ordered shepherd's pie. It was pretty terrible - the meat was dried-out mince with no flavour - not even any gravy or sauce or any kind, and the mash-topping was nothing special. Walked home - it's like a ghost-town around here on a wintery Monday. Here are some great photos of the East Brunswick Hotel from 1964.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home