Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Another lapse

Once again, a lapse in posts. I've been quite busy at work, and with my studies. Workwise, I had to defend our Mac-based video-editing lab from an attack by Windows-lovers. There was a serious attempt to dump the Macs, and purchase some Windows boxes running Premiere. A nightmare! Luckily, the Macs won out in the end, but only because I managed to source some cheap Mac Minis to replace our aging 486Mhz G4s. So often I get frustrated at the lack of money in the university sector, I begin to wonder if I should even bother pursuing a teaching career - surely there's even less money in state high schools. Studywise, I submitted an essay on the history of education in colonial Australia, looking at the shift towards free, compulsory, and secular education. Currently working on an essay on the emergence of 'new journalism' in England in the late 19th Century. Spent the weekend at Phillip Island with my family. On the way home I took a detour to Fountain Gate to purchase some Krispy Kreme donuts, just to see what all the fuss is about. It was a cold, rainy Sunday night, and yet there was a long, thick queue stretching out the door and down the footpath. The waving chain of headlights waiting to get drive-through was also astounding. Apparently it's been like this constantly since the outlet opened. Victorians have gone absolutely mentalist! I just kept driving. UPDATE: Tubagooba has an excellent post on Krispy Kreme's place in Melbourne's donut landscape. I can vouch for the statement that Sugardough on Lygon Street is to Krispy Kreme what Pavarotti is to Richard Marx.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home