Saturday, June 03, 2006

Exam over

The exam went well. It began at 10:30am, and even though I'd had some toast before I left, I knew I'd need something to tide me over for the 3 hour exam. I planned to drop into Newtown on Brunswick Street for some poached eggs (the library where I was to sit the exam is just around the corner), but when I got there the tiny cafe was overflowing. I headed back to Alimentari, which I've always wanted to try. They had a breakfast on their menu which consisted of poached eggs, bacon, mushrooms, and so on. I didn't want a full breakfast, just a couple of poached eggs on toast, but upon asking for this, they told me I could only order what's on the menu. So they were prepared to cook everything, but not just the eggs. Whatevs. I headed to Atomica instead, and got what I wanted there. After a relaxed afternoon at work, it was time to reward myself. I bought neither single-malt whisky nor Roquefort cheese. The single-malt was more expensive than I anticipated, so I settled for Ballantine's, a blended whisky. I'm still testing the waters here, as I mentioned previously, so I've not idea of the prestigiousness of this brand. I'm now wading into the waters of my next two subjects, mentioned a couple of posts ago. I killed some time yesterday afternoon making an Excel spreadsheet which outlines all the work I have to do week by week. I've formatted it all nicely, and it's somewhat inspiring to ponder the breadth of topics I'll be covering. Aside from all this, I've been totally captivated by Alèmu Aga's The Harp of King David, volume 11 in the Ethiopiques series. It's simply the most beautiful music I've heard in such a long time. It's a more subdued affair than the other Ethiopiques discs I've heard, just Alèmu on the beganna (which is like a cross between a kora and a harp), whispering mysteries right in your ear.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This 'Ethiopiques' series esp vol 11 sounds fascinating. Where would you suggest I acqiure a copy? Love your blog. A flaneur who writes well!

6/09/2006 01:51:00 pm  
Blogger cnwb said...

Google is your friend. Froogle even more so. :)

Thanks for your kind words.

6/10/2006 11:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home