Thursday, May 11, 2006

My views are well known and controversial

From Timothy Barnes' 'Constantine and the Christian Church', in Samuel Lieu & Dominic Montserrat (eds.), Constantine: History, Historiography and Legend.
Whether Constantine also in the years after 324 bestowed on Christianity the priveleged standing of which he deprived paganism is a question on which my views are well known and controversial. In this chapter, however, I do not wish to traverse this boggy terrain again.
This is a handy line to use when discussions turn to controversial matters - ie. "Whether we should buy the shiraz or the merlot is a question on which my views are well known and controversial". It can even be followed up with "I do not wish to traverse this boggy terrain again".

1 Comments:

Blogger Hg said...

I like it. I think that's the kind of thing for saving up and waiting for just the right moment to spring on people!

Your blog is very informative. I just read all your archives this evening... I should be planning how to teach the kids maths...

I never studied history at school but have always had an interest. I like the contrast between education issues in the media, essay topics and your life.

It also makes a nice change reading of someone down the street rather than on the other side of the world.

5/11/2006 09:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home