Friday, May 12, 2006

The martyrdom of Candida

When the ABC took over the screening of The West Wing from the Nine Network, one would expect that it would be treated with more respect. Nine is well known for dumping high-quality / low-rating programs into its schedule willy-nilly; Six Feet Under was dumped in whenever Who Wants To Be A Millionaire finished, so the start time would vary 20 minutes either side of the expected time. I'm a late-comer to The West Wing, and have caught up via the missus' father's DVD collection, so I can only speculate that Nine treated it in the same way it treated Six Feet Under. But the ABC has also been choppy with The West Wing's schedule. And so for some reason I had it in my head that it started at 10pm last night. After a sufficient amount of studying, I retired to the lounge, topped up my wine, and switched to the ABC, only to see the end credits. then we remembered that the time had changed to 8:30pm. All of this is, somehow, by way of saying that I read S. P. Brock's 'A Martyr at the Sasanid Court under Vahran II: Candida' last night. Poor Candida - not only does she suffer the indignation of having a nasty yeast infection named after her, but her supposed torture at the hands of Vahran II is one of the most brutal punishments I've read about from this period. I'll spare the gory details, suffice to say that (to use a cliche) 'Freud would have a field day'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home