Sunday, October 30, 2005

Baden Eunson responds

I haven't posted to this blog for a few weeks, due to two essays I've been writing, the last of which was submitted yesterday. Thus, I returned to post some newsclippings on the VCE English exam, when I noticed that Baden Eunson had posted a comment to one of my previous entries. Eunson writes;
If blogging is even going to rise above the mire of vanity publishing- where writers do not so much opine as simply take their prejudices for a walk- then it really does need to get out of the "dear diary" womb and check out the facts first. Good writing is not simply pasting in a hyperlink and then dropping a throwaway line, but researching, and then, if necessary, ripping the other person to shreds.
This prompts me to explain my aims for this blog. It was never intended to be analytical in any way, although invariably this will seep in every now and then. Moreso, it was just a way of me familiarising myself with the issues surrounding teaching and education. Hence, it was always intended to be about "simply pasting in a hyperlink". Blogs don't have to be analytical or argumentative, they can be, as is the case with this blog, simply a scrap-book. I don't profess to have any real knowledge of pedagogy, which is why I usually steer clear of opining. I'm simply feeling the waters. But Eunson, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and am quite bewildered that you managed to find my little corner of the blogosphere. And the 'thowaway line', which was "As a related aside, ever notice how things were apparently always better when baby boomers were growing up?" was simply a whimsical dig at baby-boomers in general, and their frequent reminiscing of the golden '60s, not so much a suspicion on your research in particular.

3 Comments:

Blogger nb said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/09/2005 05:39:00 pm  
Blogger nb said...

Baden Eunson must google himself quite often- he responded to a blog entry that a friend of mine posted recently about his viewpoint, too. It's a shame that one cannot seem to access Baden's blog (the link doesn't seem to work from his blogging profile). I'd be interested to see if his own blog rises above 'vanity publishing'.

11/09/2005 05:44:00 pm  
Blogger Scott said...

It seems that he doesn't need vanity publishing ... he has us, his blog fanclub!

Perhaps we're creating a monster by mentioning his name too frequently.

It's a shame too, 'The baden blog' has a nice ring to it.

11/09/2005 11:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home